The Moscow Times - Independent News From Russia The Moscow Times offers everything you need to know about Russia: Breaking news, top stories, business, analysis, opinion, multimedia, upcoming cultural events
- 18 Dead in Russia From Drinking Bootleg Alcoholon 16 October 2021 at 18:03
Mass alcohol poisoning from moonshine liquor is second incident in Russia in a matter of weeks.
- Abuse Claims Spark Riot at Russian Prisonon 16 October 2021 at 12:24
Authorities have launched an investigation into a prison riot involving at least 200 inmates.
- Russia Passes 1,000 Daily Coronavirus Deaths For First Timeon 16 October 2021 at 08:54
Only 31% of Russians have been vaccinated against the coronavirus.
- Russia Says Chased U.S. Navy Ship From Its Waterson 16 October 2021 at 08:36
The U.S. has denied Russia's characterization of events, saying the engagement was "safe and professional."
- Coronavirus in Russia: The Latest News | Oct. 16on 16 October 2021 at 08:12
Record deaths. Cases climbing. Vaccination slows.
- IS Fighters Massing in Afghanistan, Says Putin Ahead of Talkson 15 October 2021 at 13:42
The United States, China and Pakistan will join talks on the Taliban takeover on Tuesday, the Kremlin's envoy to Afghanistan said.
- How Russia Got its Michelin Starson 15 October 2021 at 13:30
Getting a Michelin Guide is the biggest thing to happen to Moscow restaurants in a century.
- Russian Rocket Tests Briefly Destabilize International Space Stationon 15 October 2021 at 13:29
The crew and the orbital station were not in danger during the incident, Moscow's space agency said.
- Most Russians Oppose Same-Sex Relationships – Pollon 15 October 2021 at 12:01
Survey shows growing opposition to same-sex relationships over last decade, but younger Russians increasingly tolerant.
- Russia Starts Census Amid Pandemic, Demographic Crisison 15 October 2021 at 10:34
Russia launched a population census delayed by the coronavirus pandemic that has exacerbated the country's worsening demographic crisis.
- Russia Sees Second Day of Record Coronavirus Cases, Fatalitieson 15 October 2021 at 09:23
Leading health officials have warned the country faces a "critical situation" in the coming weeks.
- Moscow Metro Introduces ‘World’s First’ Pay-by-Face Systemon 15 October 2021 at 08:26
The system, named "Face Pay," has been fitted at special turnstiles across the Russian capital’s more than 240 metro stations.
- Moscow Human Rights Group Stormed During Holodomor Film Screeningon 15 October 2021 at 08:02
The offices of Memorial were attacked Thursday evening during a screening of “Mr. Jones,” a film depicting the 1930s famine in Soviet Ukraine.
- 9 Moscow Restaurants Awarded Coveted Michelin Starson 14 October 2021 at 17:44
French gastronomic bible the Michelin Guide has awarded its first stars to restaurants in the Russian capital.
- Rosneft Sells 5% Stake in Arctic Oil Project to Commodity Traderson 14 October 2021 at 15:17
A consortium led by Switzerland-based Vitol will invest in the vast hydrocarbon project.
- Siberian Man Marries His Axe Attackeron 14 October 2021 at 12:06
The couple wed in an impromptu ceremony while the woman was on trial for the assault.
- Russian Soyuz Rocket Launches 36 New U.K. Satelliteson 14 October 2021 at 10:49
The satellites are owned by British operator OneWeb, which aims to provide broadband internet everywhere in the world.
- Putin Says Talk of Succession 'Destabilizes' Russiaon 14 October 2021 at 10:06
"The situation must be safe and stable in order for power structures and state structures to work in a confident manner," Vladimir Putin said.
- Russia Sets New Record Coronavirus Cases, Fatalitieson 14 October 2021 at 09:28
The country has reported more than 30,000 daily infections for the first ever time, and set another record high number of deaths.
- Former Head of Chernobyl Nuclear Plant Dieson 14 October 2021 at 07:47
Soviet authorities imprisoned Viktor Bryukhanov for his role in the 1986 nuclear disaster.