- Shifting Focus, NATO Views China as a Global Security Challengeby Steven Erlanger and Michael D. Shear on 14 June 2021 at 23:08
NATO leaders expressed a new concern about China’s growing military might, signaling a fundamental shift in the attentions of an alliance devoted to protecting Europe and North America — not Asia.
- Vermont is the first state to partially vaccinate at least 80 percent of its eligible population.by Daniel E. Slotnik on 14 June 2021 at 23:03
The state has done so well with vaccination that it can now safely drop its pandemic restrictions, Gov. Phil Scott said on Monday.
- What Are The Roadblocks to a Covid Vaccine Passport?by Ceylan Yeginsu on 14 June 2021 at 23:00
Creating a digital certificate of vaccination against the coronavirus is one of the hottest debates right now. What’s keeping it from happening, and why are some people opposed?
- Biden Accuses Trump of Phony Populism at NATO Summitby Michael D. Shear on 14 June 2021 at 22:44
Fielding questions at the end of a NATO summit, the American president accused his predecessor of “phony populism.”
- Netanyahu, ‘King of Israel,’ Exits a Stage He Dominatedby David M. Halbfinger on 14 June 2021 at 22:29
Israel’s longest-serving prime minister was a polarizing figure who sidelined efforts to resolve the Palestinian conflict but opened relations with four Arab countries.
- Shi Zhengli, A Virologist in Wuhan, Speaks Out Against 'Lab Leak' Theoryby Amy Qin and Chris Buckley on 14 June 2021 at 22:22
The virologist, Shi Zhengli, said in a rare interview that speculation about her lab in Wuhan was baseless. But China’s habitual secrecy makes her claims hard to validate.
- Newsom Pushes for Tourism Boost as California Reopensby Tariro Mzezewa on 14 June 2021 at 22:10
The governor said that, thanks to its high vaccine and low Covid positivity rate, most remaining rules about social distancing and all rules about capacity limits will be lifted.
- Vatican Warns U.S. Bishops: Don’t Deny Biden Communion Over Abortionby Jason Horowitz on 14 June 2021 at 21:41
Conservative American Catholic bishops are pressing for a debate over whether Catholics who support the right to an abortion should be allowed to take Communion.
- For Israel’s Netanyahu, the Official Residence Became a Fortressby Isabel Kershner on 14 June 2021 at 21:40
After a year of protests outside Balfour, the prime minister’s house, Israelis are debating what role they played in Benjamin Netanyahu’s downfall.
- Biden, ahead of meeting, says he isn’t seeking conflict with Putin.by Steven Erlanger on 14 June 2021 at 21:36
NATO will confront the problem of China for the first time, but some countries fear that resources will be diverted from the real challenge — Russia.
- Roman Protasevich, Jailed Belarusian Activist, Claims to Have Renounced His Viewsby Ivan Nechepurenko on 14 June 2021 at 21:29
Roman Protasevich, who recently compared the country’s autocratic leader to Hitler, is not the first dissident to renounce his views after spending time in a Belarus prison.
- Lab-Leak Theory: Kristian Andersen On His Fauci Email and Covid Originsby James Gorman and Carl Zimmer on 14 June 2021 at 21:01
In early 2020, Kristian Andersen wrote to Anthony Fauci about the possibility of an engineered coronavirus. His research has since dispelled those suspicions.
- Your Tuesday Briefingby Melina Delkic on 14 June 2021 at 20:35
First steps for Israel’s fragile coalition.
- England Extends Covid Restrictions a Monthby Stephen Castle and Benjamin Mueller on 14 June 2021 at 20:30
The decision sent a warning to the world that even well-vaccinated nations remain at risk from the highly transmissible new Delta variant.
- England’s Plan to Reopen Could Be Delayed by 4 Weeksby Stephen Castle on 14 June 2021 at 20:17
Restaurants and pubs in England, while open, will still have to observe social distancing rules indoors, limiting capacity, and nightclubs and theaters will remain firmly shuttered. The decision, which will be reviewed in two weeks, sent a warning to the world that even well-vaccinated nations […]
- CDC Travel Guidelines: What You Need to Knowby Ceylan Yeginsu on 14 June 2021 at 20:00
In updated recommendations, the federal health agency said both domestic and international travel was low risk for fully vaccinated Americans. But travel remains far from simple.
- Boris Johnson’s ‘Global Britain’ Makes Shaky Start at G7 Summitby Mark Landler on 14 June 2021 at 18:50
The prime minister’s plan to introduce his vision of a nimble, trade-savvy U.K. was upended by a spat over Northern Ireland.
- Americans Plead Guilty in Japan to Aiding Carlos Ghosn’s Escapeby Ben Dooley on 14 June 2021 at 18:13
Michael Taylor, a former Green Beret, and his son Peter Maxwell Taylor helped the former Nissan chief flee to Lebanon and sidestep the Japanese justice system.
- Israel’s New Coalition Takes First Steps, Including Mending Fences With U.S.by Patrick Kingsley and Adam Rasgon on 14 June 2021 at 18:12
The new government announced a new approach to foreign policy, but gave the go-ahead to a far-right march that critics fear will lead to violence.
- French Companies Admit Problems at Nuclear Plant in Chinaby Keith Bradsher on 14 June 2021 at 18:07
One of the companies said there had been a buildup of gases at the heart of a reactor. They say the plant is still safe.